Court documents unsealed by a federal judge, at the request of the Las Vegas Review-Journal and other media outlets, contained the name of a second person of interest in the October 1, 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival. The judge told the press after the documents were released that the person of interest’s name, Douglas Haig, was meant to be redacted. The news arrived Wednesday, the day after nearly 300 court documents were unsealed by district court judge Elissa Cadish.
On Tuesday evening, Haig identified to himself to reporters who showed up at his house in Mesa, Arizona as “the guy that sold ammunition to [the Las Vegas shooter] Stephen Paddock.”
A police report from October—filed after Paddock opened fire on the festival from his nearby hotel room, killing 58 people—identified Haig and Paddock’s girlfriend Marilou Danley as “persons of interest who may have conspired with Stephen Paddock to commit Murder with a Deadly Weapon.” Danley is no longer considered a suspect, according to law enforcement.
Judge Cadish told the Review-Journal that she believed “Haig’s name would be blacked out” when she released the court documents, citing an ongoing investigation “regarding possible charges against another individual arising out of information obtained in connection with the October 1 shooting” and privacy concerns. The lawyer for the local police force also said that the police intended to keep Haig’s name private.
When asked about Haig’s name, the Clark County sheriff Joe Lombardo told the paper, “If you’ve got it, publish it.”
However, earlier this month, Lombardo said he believed Paddock was the only shooter and only suspect:
“I know and believe there was only one suspect who killed 58 people and injured hundreds more,” Lombardo said. “All the evidence recovered in this case supports that theory. There was one shooter in the 1 October massacre. There was only one person responsible, and that was Stephen Paddock.”
Haig is apparently holding a press conference this Friday.