Last year, Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter was accused of rape by Melissa Schuman, formerly of the teen pop group Dream. On Wednesday, she tweeted that she’s filing a police report stemming from the alleged incident in 2002. “I’m finally doing what I thought I could no longer do. I’m filing a police report,” she wrote.
TMZ reports that Schuman allegedly filed with the Santa Monica Police Department on Wednesday, but notes that it will be passed on to the LAPD’s Special Crimes unit.
In November 2017, Schuman published a blog post detailing the alleged assault from when she was 18 and Carter was 22. She claims Carter invited her and a friend to his apartment when they were cast in a made-for-TV-movie together, and that he forced her to perform oral sex on him in the bathroom. Then, she alleges, he brought her into the bedroom and raped her, despite multiple warnings that she didn’t want to have sex. “I told him that I was a virgin and I didn’t want to have sex. I told him that I was saving myself for my future husband,” Schuman wrote. “I said it over and over again. He whispered in my ear as to entice me, ‘I could be your husband.’”
Carter released a statement to the press after her post, denying the allegations and claiming that this was the first he’d heard of it being a non-consensual encounter. He stated:
“Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally. This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later.”
We’ve reached out to representatives for Nick Carter and will update if and when we hear more.