Cash Money Records, the legendary New Orleans-based hip hop label that rose to prominence in the ‘90s and birthed the careers of some of rap’s biggest stars—Drake, Lil Wayne, Juvenile, and Nicki Minaj, to name a few—is getting an Apple Music documentary titled Before Anythang: The Cash Money Story. It’s exciting and confusing news because one of Cash Money’s co-founders, Bryan “Birdman” Williams, and Weezy, the biggest star in the label’s history, aren’t are good terms. They haven’t been since 2014. Imagine my surprise when, on Wednesday, March 28, Cash Money announced a soundtrack to partner the documentary with one glaring omission: Lil Wayne. He isn’t anywhere on it.
Beef between Wayne and Birdman has always been very public and can be traced back to Birdman’s refusal to release Lil Wayne’s Tha Carter V album, keeping him in label purgatory. It’s a fate that shouldn’t befall any artist, and it certainly doesn’t look like the tension between the two has dissipated over the last few years.
The soundtrack is probably fine (check out the tracklist below) but you should listen to some old school Lil Wayne, like “Let The Beat Build” from 2008's Tha Carter III, to atone for the fact that this attempts to exclude the rapper from the label he helped build.
1. At The Club – Jacquees & DeJ Loaf
2. Ride – Birdman featuring NBA Young Boy
3. Back Bone – Young Thug
4. Any Weather – Birdman featuring Kodak Black
5. Fucking Up Profits – Migos
6. Before The Fame – Jacquees
7. You – Jacquees
8. Desiigner Caskets – Birdman & Mannie Fresh (Big Tymers)
9. Where You Was At – AMP
10. Doubt Me – Young Greatness
11. 4Real – Gucci Mane
12. Brought Up – FYB
13. Like U Kno – Derez Deshon & Jacquees
14. 1 Time – Jacquees, Snoop Dogg & Birman
15. I Don’t Know – Neno Calvin
16. Before Anything – Turk
17. Pray For Me – Ralo
18. Let The Beat Build – Robb Banks